Generating text bubbles with After Effects



Tutorial 

I used a tutorial video to help with creating a text bubble. The process was to use a PNG with a transparency of text bubbles. The tutorial suggested, using a mask, to bring in the individual text bubbles one at a time and transforming the size so that they'd pop up more realistically. The problem was that the text bubbles didn't shrink or expand which enabled me to type what I wanted.

 After Effects                                         
To solve this, I created the text boxes myself using the shape tool in After Effects, enabling me to create the size I wanted. The only issue was with the part that connects to the mouth when someone speaks, which I had to create myself with the pen tool. Using the same technique, as the tutorial video explained, I managed to make them appear out of nowhere. I made a composition on the edited walking section and then put the text bubbles where I wanted them. 


I decided to create text bubbles in the movie to show that the main character is trying to contact someone and to present the name of the main character, as those were the only times his name was ever mentioned throughout the film. A problem I faced was transferring the text bubbles from After Effects to Final Cut Pro. 

This is my final product which I believe is convincing. 

Comments